We have moved!

This blog is no longer actively updated. You can now find us at http://poetscollective.org/everysonnet/.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Vaughanet


Rhymes with "bonnet" and "sonnet".
A variation of the English sonnet.
It makes some use of near or half rhyme (the first poet in the English language
to use this was the metaphysical poet, Henry Vaughan) but its main innovation is
that it has what normally is the final couplet coming after the first quatrain,
in the 5th and 6th lines.

Example Poems:

Chipmonk Bouquet















I love my Tess, I love my Tess, I do. 
I must confess it is sweet Tess, I crave. 
She rubbed my nose so I suppose love's true. 
She's crazy over flowers, she does rave. 

   "The flower power is most sensual. 
   But neat- it is; they're sweet and edible."

So what we'll do- if fine with you- I say- 
Is place my face right here with baby breath. 
to frame my fame in cellophane bouquet. 
She'll giggle, laugh or else be scared to death. 

But she's the one, I want to share my nuts. 
She's cute, a beauty really with filled cheeks. 
I need to succeed; no ifs ands or buts. 
If this works fine she will be mine for keeps. 

(c) Lawrencealot - April 23, 2012

Author's notes:  I have written three of these, on the first I forgot near rhyme,
on the next, I missed the volta. So I switched to whimsey.


Visual template:
abab cc dede fgfg

No comments:

Post a Comment